Knee Instability Treatment in Lafayette, LA
Knee instability is a sensation that the knee joint is loose or moving from side to side during daily activities. It may feel as though the knee could give way and buckle at any time while walking, exercising, or even standing.
The most common cause of knee instability is a ligament sprain or injury, such as an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear or a cartilage injury like a meniscus tear. Knee instability can also result from osteoarthritis, a degenerative condition in which joint cartilage gradually wears down over time, causing pain, swelling, and reduced mobility.
When to Seek Medical Attention for Knee Instability
It is important to see an orthopedic specialist for a complete evaluation of knee instability that causes:
- Severe pain
- Mechanical symptoms, such as locking, catching, or clicking, when the knee bends
- A popping sound or sensation when the knee twists
- An inability to fully straighten the knee
- A feeling that the knee will buckle or give out
How Is Knee Instability Treated?
Knee instability treatment can vary depending on the severity of the symptoms. If the underlying cause is a sprain or a partial ligament tear, nonsurgical treatment may be sufficient. Some potentially effective options include:
- Rest, ice applications, elevation, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help reduce painful swelling
- A brace to support the knee joint as the injury heals
- Exercise to strengthen the muscles that support the knee
For a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan, turn to Peter D. Vizzi, MD, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who has more than 25 years of orthopedic experience and currently practices in Lafayette, Louisiana. Dr. Vizzi may treat an unstable knee with nonsurgical solutions, such as physical therapy and medication, or he may suggest surgery to address an extensive knee injury that involves more than one ligament or cartilage or is causing your knee to buckle during daily activities. If you elect surgery, you can feel confident entrusting your care to Dr. Vizzi, who is highly experienced in utilizing the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Contact Dr. Vizzi’s office in Lafayette, LA, to schedule a consultation today.